Student Life In Aachen
In the following section you will leave the homepage of RWTH International Academy and will be transferred to different webpages. Please note that we do not assume responsibility for the correctness or completeness of the contents of the pages recommended.
Links of RWTH Aachen University
- Communication, Sports and Culture at RWTH Aachen University: This link will provide you a general overview of diverse student initiatives: student newspaper, student movie club, drama club, language-tandems, big band, choire, etc.
- International Student Organisations: The RWTH Aachen University is a quite international university in Germany: Nearly 12% of the RWTH students (about 32,000 total) come from foreign countries. Therefore, there are many International Student Organisations that are able to help students with very specific problems.
- Sports Centre (RWTH Hochschulsportzentrum): The RWTH Hochschulsportzentrum (Sports Centre) offers a broad range of activities from Aikido to Zumba. The 'Kontakthüpfen' (contact jumping, fitness with music) is a great opportunity to get to know fellow students.
- University Library: The RWTH University Library (Hochschulbibliothek) is the centrally situated library opposite the Super C. You can read or borrow books, do internet research, copy things or just read the newspaper in the entrance hall. The library has just been renovated and it is worth a visit, especially in the first days.
- Visa Information by the International Office
- Visa Information by the Department for foreign affairs
- Advice and assistance at RWTH: assistance for international students, psychological assistance (see also: Medical Care and Safety) etc.
- Student Events website "Campuslife", see the section "Termine"
- Klenkes, the website of Aachen's city magazine
Culture & Sports
- Cinemas in Aachen: The Cinecarree is the biggest cinema in Aachen. Besides that, there are others like the Apollo (that also transforms to a bar/club at some days of the week) or the Eden Palast (that e.g. offers operas or theatre plays from time to time).
- Museums in Aachen: There is much more to see in Aachen than only the Rathaus (city hall) and the Dom (cathedral), even if those two buildings are really worth visiting. Aachen has got a newspaper museum, a museum for international art and many more.
- Theatres in Aachen: There are many different theatres in Aachen: From those ones that present plays in traditional Aachen dialect (Öcher Platt) to those that offer plays especially attractive to young people. Students can get a great discount and enjoy different plays at an incredibly good price.
- Aachen Sports League (Alemannia Aachen)
- Spa / Hot Springs: Aachen is very famous for its hot springs. The European emperor Charlemagne (about 800 AD), made Aachen the capital of his empire and his residence because of the hot springs and the healing potential they have. They are a great opportunity to relax, especially after a long study week.
General Practical Information about Aachen: Institutions / Transport
- Air Traffic: Maastricht Aachen Airport / Cologne Bonn Airport / Duesseldorf International Airport
- Bus Schedule: for transportation in and around Aachen (ASEAG)
- City of Aachen: City council, public facilities like museums and swimming pools, information about registration, etc.
- Taxis, for example Taxi Gering
- Trains (national/international): The Deutsche Bahn has, besides the Semester Ticket (free transport with bus and trains in the whole state of North Rhine Westphalia), special offers for travelling around Germany (Schönes Wochenende Ticket), to Paris (about 3 hours with Thalys), etc.
Medical Care and Safety
- Fire Accident (Fire Department) [Dial: 112]
- Police (Emergency, eg. assault) [Dial: 110]
- Police Station, Criminal Investigation Department [Dial: 1891]
- Security at RWTH Aachen university [Dial: 113]
- Emergency Services
- Doctors (German)
- Hospitals and Clinics in Aachen
- Center for mental health for students (ZPG): RWTH Aachen University developed (together with FH Aachen) the first psychiatric and psychotherapeutic counseling for students: the Center for Mental Health for Students (ZPG). A team consisting of psychiatrists, psychologists and social education workers offers students professional help (without waiting hours) with all problems and life crises. The ZPG can be found at the Uniklinikum Aachen and counseling can also be done in English.
- You can find help with legal consultation at the AstA (Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss der RWTH Aachen), your student representation at RWTH Aachen University.