Which programmes can I apply for?
Master in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc. Computer Aided Conception and Production in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc. Production Systems Engineering
- M.Sc. Textile Engineering
Master in Management and Engineering (in Cooperation with Maastricht School of Management)
- M.Sc. Management and Engineering in Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc. Management and Engineering in Design Concepts and Structural Engineering of Industrial Facilities (New for intake 2017/18)
- M.Sc. Management and Engineering in Electrical Power Systems
- M.Sc. Management and Engineering in Production Systems
- M.Sc. Management and Engineering in Water (New for intake 2017/18)
Master in Management and Engineering (in Cooperation with the University of Cambridge)
List of Documents to Complete Your Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Intent
- University Transcript of Records (if possible with a conversion of your credit points in ECTS)
- University Degree Certificate
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (see below)
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Digital Photograph
- Proof of practical work experience of as a rule not less than 12 months (detailing the duration and responsibilities of your work)
- APS (only for Chinese Applicants)
- GRE (only for CAME, Textile, MME-EPS)
If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have a certified translator translate them into either German or English. The copies do not need to be notarized. More information: Translation of Certificates
Please see the programme website in order to find a detailed applicant's profile. Generally requested is:
- Bachelor in Engineering or Bachelor in Science related to your envisioned study programme awarded by an internationally recognised university-level institution.
- Very good performance in your undergraduate studies.
Language Requirements English
For all of our master's programmes: A certified proof of your competence in the English language through the completion of one of the accepted examinations listed below:
- TOEFL Internet based minimum of 90 pts/Paper based minimum of 577 pts.
- IELTS test minimum overall band 5,5 pts.
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
- First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with B,
- Placement-Test of RWTH Aachen University's language centre (B2).
- For German applicants: Ein Zeugnis, das englische Sprachkenntnisse auf dem Niveau B2 des "Gemeinsamen europäischen Referenzrahmens (GeR)" ausweist. Dieser Nachweis wird z.B. durch die Vorlage eines deutschen Abiturzeugnisses erbracht, aus dem ersichtlich ist, dass Englisch bis zum Ende der Qualifikationsphase 1 (Jahrgangsstufe 11 bei G8-Abitur, sonst Jahrgangsstufe 12) durchgängig belegt und mit mindestens ausreichenden Leistungen abgeschlossen wurde.
- The score reports must not be older than two years by 1 August of the year the degree course you are applying for will start.
- Some countries have special requirements for language profiency, please clarify this with your embassy in advance.
- A copy of the score report needs to be uploaded in the online application system, in case of admission the original scores have to be presented for enrolment in August.
- Exemptions for the language requirements are only applicable for nationals or first degree holders from USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.
Language Requirements German
Only for Textile Engineering
A certified proof of your competence in the German language through the completion of one of the accepted examinations listed below
- B1 by Goethe Institute or TestDaF 3
However, applicants do not have to prove their German knowledge along with their application in March. Applicants are allowed to hand in their B1 certificates at the time of enrolment.
IMPORTANT: From 2016, students will have the chance to acquire the German knowledge until the requested B1 level prior to the beginning of the Master's degree programme at the RWTH Aachen University. The RWTH International Academy will therefore offer a Master's College for Textile students with a preparatory intensive German course and technical courses. More information upon request.
Letter of Recommendation
Please note that there is no standard form or format for the letter of recommendation required. The letter of recommendation can be issued by a university professor/lecturer or by a superior from your employment. It should, however, present the following information:
- your relationship to the author
- your academic/professional history
- your qualities/achievements/ambitions in your respective field
- your personal traits and goals
- the author’s signature
- be written on the institution’s/company’s letter head (if possible)
- bear the stamp of the issuing institution/company (if possible)
Additional Requirements - Professional Work Experience
The proof of work experience must include the following information:
- Complete address and stamp of the company
- Contact details and reference of supervisor
- Date of joining and, if applicable, resignation date
- Weekly hours
- Job position
- Short task description