Rankings & Accreditation
(Picture by Peter Winandy)
RWTH Aachen secures Top Places in Rankings
RWTH Aachen University is one of Europe’s leading institutions for science and research with 260 institutes in nine faculties. It has gained worldwide recognition in several rankings:
German University Ranking by Wirtschaftswoche
- 2015: The RWTH Aachen graduates in mechanical engineering, natural science and industrial engineering have THE BEST education in comparison to all universities in Germany, according to a survey initiated by the German business magazine “Wirtschaftswoche” and the consulting company “Universum” .
- 2014: In the 2014 ranking published in June, 2014 by Wirschafts Woche RWTH Aachen University secures the first places in Electrical Engineering and Natural Sciences. In Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Informatics they secure the second place.
- 2013: In the 2013 ranking published on April 11, 2013 by Wirschafts Woche, RWTH Aachen is "the leader in all technical disciplines". RWTH Aachen University secures the first place in Informatics, Electrical Engineering, Natural Sciences, Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Economics.
- 2012: In their 2012 report, human resources managers of the largest German corporations again ranked RWTH Aachen as the best German university. Asked about their preferred university for the recruitment of graduates, the HR managers ranked RWTH first in the fields of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Natural Sciences, and Business and Engineering. In the field of Computer Science, RWTH was ranked second, moving up from last year’s third place. (http://www.wiwo.de/erfolg/campus-mba/uni-ranking-deutschlands-beste-universitaeten/6476062.html)
QS World University Ranking
- 2015: The University was particularly successful in mechanical engineering, which was ranked 12th worldwide and the best German university. It is also ranked as the best German University for Chemical Engineering and secures 34th place world wide in this subject. It was ranked 40th in the world in chemistry and 30th in physics and placed among the top universities in the newly included subject areas “business & management studies” and “architecture & built environment”. Source: QS World University Ranking by Subject
- 2014: RWTH Aachen University is again among the top 20 universities worldwide (rank 18) and Germany's best in the subject "Engineering - Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing". Furthermore, it is among the best 50 universities worlwide for Electrical & Electronic Engineering and for Chemical Engineering (and also Germany's best university for Chemical Engineering). In the QS World University Ranking by Faculty, RWTH is ranked 42 in faculty "Engineering and Technology". For more information and ranking results, see here.
- 2013: RWTH Aachen University moved even more forward and is now among the top 20 (rank 17) universities by subject "Engineering & Technology - Mechanical Engineering". It is also rated as the best university for mechanical Engineering in Germany and the second best one in continental Europe. RWTH also secures a place among the top 50 universities world-wide in the field of Chemical Engineering, Physica, Materials Sciences and Chemistry. For an overview by subject, see here.
- 2012: RWTH Aachen University under the top 25 (rank 23) universities by subject "Engineering & Technology - Mechanical Engineering". RWTH Aachen is also rated as the best university for mechanical Engineering in Germany and the second best one (after ETH Zürich) in continental Europe.
Ratings by Access
2012: In the latest Access rating by the German career-building website access.de, RWTH Aachen University secures top places in various subjects. It is Germany's best university for industrial engineering, electrical engineering, natural sciences, and of course mechanical engineering. Furthermore, it is the second best university for computer sciences. http://www.access.de/pdfloader/pdf.aspx?id=3180)
- 2009: In the field of Mechanical engineering RWTH Aachen attained in 2009 again the first place in reputation of research and research funds. "No matter what kind of methodology is used in the various rankings, Aachen always assumes a leading position in all fields of engineering." (Ranking-Report update 2001-2009) This excellent result demonstrates RWTH’s special status among German universities and illustrates its success in linking academic research with private sector innovation activity. (http://ranking.zeit.de/che2011/de/rankingkompakt?esb=10&ab=3&hstyp=1)
Times Higher Education
- 2014: RWTH Aachen University is listed for the first time in the Times Higher Education Magazine World Reputation Ranking as one of "the top 100 most powerful global university brands". See also the ranking: brands http://lnkd.in/dma7zdE
- 2013-2014 The World Rankings, judge world class universities across all of their core missions - teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. RWTH secures place 129 (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking)
- TEH says about RWTH Aachen University "Germany’s largest university of technology acquired its own seat in the Prussian House of Lords by 1880. It numbers among its alumni several scientists who won Nobel Prizes for physics or chemistry, and today identifies its leading course as mechanical engineering. One-third of its approximately 33,000-strong student body are women." RWTH Aachen has been ranked among the 200 best universities worldwide and among the best 100 technical universities world wide. (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/)
- 2014: RWTH Aachen University is rated among the top 201-300 universities worldwide and gets rank 14-22 among the German universities. It is ranked among the top 100 universities in the field of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (rank 5-9 among German universities) and among the top 200 universities in the field of Engineering and Technology (rank 4-5 among German universities). In the field of Physics RWTH Aachen University gets rank 101-150 worldwide (rank 8-12 among German universities), in Computer Sciences rank 151-200 worldwide (rank 4 among German universities) and in Chemistry rank 51-75 worldwide (rank 5-7 in among German universities). Source:http://www.shanghairanking.com/index.html
Accreditation by ASIIN e.V.
The partner of RWTH Aachen University and RWTH International Academy for certification of quality management systems in systems accreditation is 'ASIIN e.V.' This accreditation agency for degree programmes sets standards for programmes in engineering, computer science, natural sciences, mathematics, and teaching qualification. All master programmes offered in cooperation with the faculty of mechanical engineering of RWTH Aachen University and RWTH International Academy have been accreditated by ASIIN. The accreditation needs to be updated in regularly timeframes of five years to ensure a continously level of quality ensurance and improvement.
See also www.asiin-e.v.de