Germany is worldwide the primary location in researching and developing new technologies in mechanical engineering industries and textile production. Germany is also one of the biggest producers of technical textiles.
The RWTH Textile Engineering department (ITA) has been honoured frequently for their innovations and leading position in textile engineering (e.g. Techtextil Innovation Award 2015). The M.Sc. in Textile Engineering at the RWTH Aachen University offers an interdisciplinary curriculum drawing on diverse science and engineering principles.
The programme provides knowledge on the latest development in textile technology in a wide range of subjects covering high-performance fibres, 3D-textiles and new processes and machines to manufacture textile products. In June 2015, the programme has - in addition to the accreditation by ASIIN e.V. - also been accredited by the Textile Institute.
Our textile engineer is someone who...
- develops new machines to manufacture textile products
- develops a nano-composite material for high-performance textiles
- invents new fibre-reinforced plastic materials for application in aeronautics or car racing such as “Formula 1”
- develops advanced polymer blend technology for product improvements in textiles and composites
- improves and develops innovative methods in production of fibre-reinforced plastic materials
- designs smart fibres which are able to monitor vital signs to support more independence to those with cardiovascular disease treatment
...to make a difference. Is this you?
An International and Interdisciplinary Master
The Textile Engineering students develop a unique background, which allows them to pursue applied research, summer intern experiences, and design projects ranging from innovative production technologies to the design of novel high performance fibres for automotive and aviation industry. The programme offers small class sizes with personal attention from faculty.
This graduate Master’s degree course is highlighted through its internationality, its focus on interdisciplinary and its training of highly-qualified young professionals, combines teaching, project and research results by putting these directly into practice. This will be effected by means of research- and practice-based master theses, which are developed from laboratory work or direct involvement in research projects.
Students will learn how to…
- develop new products, new processes and new machines
- improve existing textile products, processes and machines
- simulate textile products, processes and machines
- design machines
After successfully completing the Master’s programme in textile engineering at RWTH, graduates will work in the field of constructing textile machinery as well as developing processes and operations for the production of textiles of any kind.
- English and German taught
- 1,5 years programme (3 semesters)
- 90 Credit points
- Master of Science - M.Sc. (RWTH)
- Fees: EUR 4,500 per semester
- Start: Every year in October
- Application Deadline:
- Non-EU citizens: 1 March
- Bildungsinländer, German and EU citizens: 15 July
Students will attend the course work in English and German language. Students can choose between a focus either on research or course work according to their personal preference. Part of the programme are:
- Compulsory courses (lectures, exercises, laboratory courses)
- High Performance Fibres, Composites, Control Engineering, Machine Design Process, Gear and Transmission Technology, Quality Management, ...
- Elective courses (lectures, exercises, laboratory courses)
- Innovation Management, Factory Planning, Failure of Structures and Structural elements, Technical Textiles, Synthetic Fibres,...
- Master thesis
- Research projects (scope depends on the choice of the track)
Your are very welcome to also join our Textile Engineering at the RWTH Aachen University Facebook group.